Different types of EGR valves and offers some specific diagnostic and testing tips for troubleshooting trouble codes involving the EGR system.
Ken Coleman is an ASE Master Technician at Great Falls Auto Repair in Great Falls, Montana who knows a lot about emission controls. For more than 50 years, emission control systems have been working to reduce the impact of vehicle emissions like Nitrogen oxides (NOx), which are produced in the combustion processes inside gasoline engines, partly from nitrogen compounds in the fuel, but mostly by direct combination of atmospheric oxygen and nitrogen in flames. Auto manufacturers have traditionally reduced NOx emissions through the use of exhaust gas recirculation through EGR valves, but that’s changing.
In this episode of the ATI Podcast, we’ll talk with Ken about the different types of EGR valves and offers some specific diagnostic and testing tips for troubleshooting trouble codes involving the EGR system. Listen in as Ken shares his insights on:
- The different types of EGR valves and systems.
- How to activate the EGR valve during diagnosis.
- How to identify EGR failures.
- The differences in electronically-controlled EGR systems.
- Specific diagnostic testing tips.
- How VVT is eliminating the EGR system on hybrid vehicles.
- Why EGR systems will be on ICE engine applications for some time to come.
- How to determine the right diagnostic procedure based on EGR trouble codes.